ISLAMABAD, Thursday, July 29, 2021. The Iqbal International Institute for Research and Dialogue (IRD) held The One Day International Seminar collaborating with The Embassy of The Republic of Indonesia, Indonesian Student Association in Pakistan and International Islamic University of Islamabad (IIUI) The seminar held at Allama Iqbal Auditorium, a hall belongs to IRD-IIUI located in old campus International Islamic University of Islamabad, Faisal masjid, E-8 Sector.
This seminar opened at 13.25 (25 minutes late from predicted) by Mr. Waqqash as the moderator. He was starting with good introduction the seminar properly as well as the topic that has planned. Continued with reciting the holly quran by BS Ushuluddin Indonesian student Rafi Afnan Syafieq, continued keynote speaker from Dr. Husnul Amin as the Executive Director of IRD-IIUI, continued with the exposuring from Indonesian and Pakistani speakers step by step according the schedule, until reached the final session by listening to chief guest H.E. Mr. Adam Muawarman Tugio as the Indonesian ambassador to Pakistan, and clossed officially by the Rector of IIUI Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai.
The Ambassador H.E. Mr. Adam Mulawarman T. arrived at the Allama Iqbal Auditorium at 12.50 PKT by officially vehicle, the ad-interim president of ISAP (Indonesian Student Association in Pakistan) Muhammad Fakhri Fauzan with some of Indonesian student and some of IRD Officer welcomed the Ambassador.
The majority of audiences of this seminar are from Indonesian and Thai student. They departured to Allama Iqbal Auditorium at 12.05 PKT throught four separate buses for male and female provided by Campus.
Joined together in this seminar Indonesian and Pakistani speakers with their presentation, they are :
- Prof. Asep Saepudin Jahar as the lecture in State Islamic University Syarif Hidayatullah, Jakarta.
He was presenting that the History how the Madarris transformed from the Dutch colonial era to the modern era. The point that we can concluded are:
- The Islamic education started by religious based figures as called pesantren in Java and Sumatra.
- The syllabus itself mostly talked about basic science in Islam, moreover after the experts came back from Saudi or Egypt to develope this pesantren after dutch invasion.
- Some time later, after the madrasah under the ministry of religion were established together with secular schools received the same recognition (1975)
- But those are more traditional madrasah who stand independent, until now the independent madrasa slowly transformed to get their recognition with government (Ministry of Education and Culture Affairs or Ministry of Religion Affairs)
- So (what kind of mutualism between government and madrasa reforms) can be reached time by time.
- Madrasah should lead the Islamic though in Indonesia with the moderate term based on five pillars or we call Pancasila.
- Prof. Dr. Amin Abdullah as the lecture in State Islamic University Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta.
He was presenting about whose responsibility for this reforms, and how it is going. The points that can we concluded :
- Four things to reforms from madrassah:
- to accepting diverse Society.
- to develope the way of thinking, to more open mindedness.
- to establish moderate of Islam (to avoid any violated coexistence)
- islamization knowledge to integration of Islam (zhia u saddar)
- Collaboration science of works is needed to reforms madrassah, not just from theology aspects but from any other insight to build a strong educational institutes.
- Initiative to reach this achievement either goes from both vertical side, from upper side government to the bottom of society but from the root of society up to the government.
- So that’s the leader and the teachers in madrassah do a major control to it’s well-being.
- The most difficult issues to reforms the madrassah or Islamic education institution is comprehensive acknowledge to this moderate Islam paradigm, not to change the essentials but to make it more better in the future.
- Re-finding and renewal the methodology and approach in madrassah reforms.
- Four things to reforms from madrassah:
- Dr. Muhammad Aamir Tuaseen as the former chairman of Madrassa Education Board of Pakistan, also member BoG IIUI.
He was talking about issue of the regristation in majority madrassah in here (Pakistan)
- Dr. Raghieb Naeemi as the represents of CII of Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
He was talking about the currently condition regarding islamic educational institution or madrassah, he told that 6000 Madaris have been registered so far while 42000 still remain.
- Maulana Ahmd Yousuf Banuri as the Director of Jamia Uloom-ul-Islami Banuri Town.
He was presenting that the politicians has their own vested intersts in a mainstreaming madrassahs. He insisted that the problems lies in behavior not in curriculum. so traditional and modern education can be merged.
Other points that we can concluded from Pakistani speakers are :
- Pakistan has just 5% of madrasa authority while the rest still independent and not touched yet by government.
- In Pakistan, the challanges are more variety and numerous, because the variety of secte that exist in pakistan and made a big role for the madrasa in British invasion era.
- Of course there are attempt to unite the madrasa as traditional image of education and secular school that brought by British, but the challange to unite the ideas and view are not done yet.
- Pakistan’s government already arranged dialogue with madrasa authority to reach the agreement that both side demand, the dialogue mostly talked about birocration-registration-recognition.
- Madrassah side says that the current condition of madrasah is eagerly terrible, with minimum aid from government that effect to it’s social life Ang any other facilities in madrasah, the blame went to politics within government body that responsible for these situations.
- Pakistani side seeing that indonesia’s religious movement (NU, Muhammadiyah etc) has stood together to make a educational reforms for it’s better future, so that indonesia has avoided the political affair inside the government issue or inside religious movement itself.
- There are some lacks in the madrassah side, they attend to don’t understand the policy of government. So they have no idea to adapt their madrasa in these era, when the world become global and has a particular law they still stick with their principle.
- Pakistan has a gap different in traditional education reforms between other nation, as for turkey the government (Kamal Attaturk) has divided the secular school and leave the madrasa as the heritage from Utsmani as it is and now both run well together, as indonesia they have a great coordination between the biggest religious movement and government so the reforms of Islamic education are await of time, as for African all of the madrasa are under the policy of government but the quality of students are weak. Pakistan has this political issues that occured in both side madrasa and government.
- They need to have a great mufti to make them more comfortable to discuss with the all entire layer of scholars in their knowledges.
- To upgrade the syllabus of madrasa to include some basic social science and global issues.
The main conveyance of chief guest, H.E. Mr. Adam Mulawarman Tugio, S.H., LL.M., as the Ambassador of The Republic of Indonesia to Pakistan.
- The university students have a great responsibility to make this madrasa reforms, they should define where is the paradigm that could tear the union apart, where is the hoax narration to avoid, where is narration to get followed. Furthermore they are the students who will fill the teacher blanks in the madrasa in the near future (to help get rid of evil paradigm)
- In indonesia we see to understand the basic value of Islam doesn’t mean to unarguably be Islamic experts only, but they are openly to become what they want. A lot of madrasa students either traditional independent and under the government umbrella has going to Europe or America to make their dream come true.
The conveyance of The Rector of Internasional Islamic University of Islamabad, Prof. Dr. Masoon Yasinzai.
- Thank you very much to all pasticipants that has been cared about this topic, the important term to re-build and renewal the educational system.
- The government of Indonesia is good to manage their modern educational institutions, proven by the activities of Indonesian student here. We can learn a lot of that.
- Training the teahcers is important, the head of school have to became the real leader not only manager.
- This is not the first or the last but it will be continuing to hold many discussion or conference.
- The Islamic education is an important part of educational process for children until they mature. A process which remains instills the values of character and soul.
- The governments should to be intermediary in each problems that disturbing the processing of educational institution, specially Islamic Education Institutions
- There are different problems in each country according the situation of community.
- We should establish the scholars that can embrace all the entire layer of scholars to do something better for the Islamic Educational Instutition in the future, to faced the challenges that may will be faced.
- The purpose of this event is together looking for better solutions in order to face the challenges that may be faced in the educational process. It will be some kind of consideration in managing educational institutions as well, for the better Islamic Education in the future.
- The university students have to re-active the great responsibility for the educational institutions system.
Moreover, the committe also held a book exhibition filled with books published by IRD, the participants can look for and buy the book with discount up to 50%.
Finally, the seminar officially closed at 16.10 by the Rector of IIUI, Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai. The audiences went out and enjoyed the chai and some of snack provided by committe. The Ambassador H.E. Mr. Adam also conveyed thankfull and said goodbye to returning to the Embassy.
This is the One Day International Seminar has held, hopefully the academic events can be continued ahead.